This is infuriating not only because I wasted 45 minutes of my life yesterday after having done all the legwork that should have been necessary to make it go smoothly, but also because the draw needs to happen at least a week before the NT scan if I want to have all my results tabulated at the scan appointment. And I'm nearing that one-week mark rapidly. Well, not really. I'm nearing it painfully slowly. But I'm still nearing it.
I still have that lingering feeling of not really wanting to get these tests. I feel like as soon as I scheduled the draw and the NT scan that those actions suddenly somehow caused there to arise the possibility of something being wrong. I hate the stress I am going through waiting for results and I really don't want to stress over things if they turn out to be less than "perfect." There are plenty of defects that are inconsequential and there are plenty of false positives and errors in this process. I guess I am doing it because 1) I really want to see if the baby is still alive before I start 'telling' or getting excited or any of that and 2) I'm hoping to be one of the 95% of people who walk away with good results because that would make me feel better for the remainder of the pregnancy than if I didn't get the tests to begin with. It feels like such a gamble.
Today on FB my eyes went directly to an ultrasound photo on my news feed. It was a friend of a friend's. It looks like 8 or 9 weeks. The message said something along the lines of "we're proud to announce we're pregnant!! We went to the first u/s and there's a heartbeat and it was dancing around and everything."
Now, forgive me for getting all judgy, but it seems early for them to announce this. Of course they'll have a perfect baby in 7 months. Because they don't know any better and that seems to be how it works. Bad things can only happen to you if you know about them. For some reason I get so angry when people are ignorant of how naiive they are. A friend of mine saw the same scene last year - hb, movement, etc. - and lost her baby at 11 weeks. There are a zillion stories like that. And still these people are developing pride over their good fortune and telling the world. This one wasn't even as bad as the girl I saw last week who changed her profile picture to a picture of a positive pregnancy test. She also will have a perfect baby this year, I'm sure of it.
My symptoms have been...better. Nausea in particular. Also energy. I feel less sick less often and I actually have trouble sleeping where before my head couldn't hit the pillow fast enough and I would even dose off at my desk during the day. My first instinct is, of course, to worry. But the nausea isn't completely gone, bbs are still sore most of the time, and I just keep trying to pretend I'm one of these people who 'told' in the middle of the first tri. Then I wouldn't be worried - I would just be pregnant. And everyone would know. And once you tell, the odds of something going wrong plummet. What if I had told? Then I wouldn't have to worry, right? That's how it goes, I'm pretty sure - telling absolves you of evil. Maybe I should run around and tell people right now. To immunize myself against bad news.
DH was funny last night. He came to bed after I had fallen asleep and asked how my nausea was. I think he's beginning to notice that I'm not as sick. Half asleep I mumbled "it's ok." Then came this gem: "Do you think you're getting fatter?" he asked. He probably didn't know how to put it. He knows that nausea dropping off is no good and was probably looking (like I do) for other signs to indicate that things were going ok. But like I mentioned above, getting 'fatter' is not a real reliable indicator right now. Boys are funny.

8 comments:
I hate the, "We are pregnant, just took a test yesterday", and they start planning the nursery! Just like the person you know, we saw a heartbeat and everything with our Sea Monkey, and then lost him just before 11 weeks. Heartbreaking. Glad to know that things are progressing well!
11 weeks seems to be a popular miscarriage time in the blog world lately. It's a crappy club to be in.
I'm 22 weeks and STILL feel weird about planning stuff. People that have never gone through what we have can honestly have smooth, worry-free pregnancies and never ever get a taste of the hell we go through everyday thinking we're doomed.
Um, she touched your stomach? Seriously? And what kind of person is she that asks if it's still in there?! Goodness Lady.
I have a few friends on FB who announced their pregnancy. Totally annoying & I'm sure everything will work out JUST fine with them.
I think that's the reason why I'm so hesitant in telling my family. What if something goes wrong? Once I tell them, then BAM! bad news bears.
Boys are funny. You're too nice. I would've pinched my DH.
p.s. that ob office or the people that work there need to get their shit together.
"Is it still in there?"
W. T. F.
That statement deserves a smack.
I am amazed at people who post pregnancy news as soon as the pee stick dries. I thought the general wisdom was to keep it under wraps until the second trimester? I just don't get it, and seeing thins like that would irritate me too. It's so weird, like these people live in their own little bubble.
For me, the NT scan was more to see the baby than anything else. With your age, your risk is low, but its nic,e to see the little one.
those damn fertiles, i wonder what it's like to have the luxury of not knowing what could happen. i guess ignorance is bliss.
There is nothing that I hate more than a premature Facebook pregnancy announcement. Several of my friends have posted their very first u/s photos in order to share the news and all were 6 to 8 weeks along. Luckily, all are still carrying their children (or carried and given birth already), but those poor fertile women never do realize the risk they take by shouting their BFP on the rooftops so early. One friend who posted their pee stick to make the announcment ended up having an ectopic pregnancy and losing her tube. Even when you get into the second tri it's still dangerous. My mom miscarried one of her pregnancies at 13 weeks.
And there is nothing I hate more than people rubbing my belly, so I have no idea how I will handle that during pregnancy. To me, it's rude and it makes me feel completely uncomfortable. I don't even let my husband rub my belly NOW. What makes complete strangers think I will be okay with them rubbing my belly when I'm pregnant?
I love DH's comment about "getting fatter." They are so funny when they don't know what to say. :)
I agree with Katery, ignorance IS bliss. The sister of one of my FB friends just announced her 8wk pregnancy online and her profile pic is of the ultrasound. I pray that move doesn't come back to bite her.
Your DH sounds cute. Clueless (what man isn't?) but cute. :)
My friend got pregnant on her honeymoon and out every aspect of it on FB.
I haven't experienced a loss, but I waited until almost the end or the end of the first trimester both times to tell people other than immediate family and my best friend. You just never know.
We are so lucky IVF/ICSI worked for our severe male factor IF, but it still makes you so cautious and I will never understand people announcing their pregnancy so soon.
Kelley
Post a Comment