Welcome ICLWers and anyone new to the blog. Here's the backstory...
DH and I started trying to make a baby in the fall of '08, a strategic 3 months before our wedding. By the time we reached the altar we had gotten our BFP and then, 11 weeks later at our first u/s, found out I had suffered a missed miscarriage. Little did we know, the nightmare had only just begun. A full two months after my D&C I was still getting positive HPTs - my HCG was going down abnormally slowly. Since the pathology report from my D&C in January had come back 'indeterminate,' no one knew exactly what was going on...was it a second pregnancy? Left over tissue? The oncologist has since concluded that it was probably some variety of gestational trophoblastic disease (GTD). GTD is a disease of the placental cells. It's generally referred to as a "cancer" but the different types span the spectrum from totally benign to gravely malignant. It's best known for the havoc it can wreak as part of a molar pregnancy, but GTD can follow any type of pregnancy. I happen to think I fit the profile of a partial mole (which can be missed by a pathology report), but we'll never know for sure.
HCG happens to be a marker for cancer resulting from GTD and although my HCG was declining, more or less, the doctors didn't want to take chances and prescribed methotrexate (a type of mild chemotherapy) to get the levels down faster. When the methotrexate didn't do any good, we all just sat back and waited to see what would happen "off treatment." My HCG levels continued their slow decline, finally reaching zero (or "less than 2") exactly 5.5 months after my D&C. And as if a 5.5 month wait wasn't enough torture I was also told to wait an additional six months before trying again. On the chance that the pregnancy was a partial mole or did in fact cause GTD, my OBG advised this further wait period so they could monitor my HCG levels for a while. The common understanding of this wait time is that doctors want to monitor HCG continuously for six months to a year because if the levels go up, it could indicate a recurrence of GTD. If I were to TTC in the interim, the doctors wouldn't know if an increase in HCG was a new pregnancy or GTD returning. My oncologist questions this logic and thinks it's outdated (he said we could try again right away) but I waited five months before trying again to be on the safe side. Cancer is scary stuff.
Our first (natural) cycle trying again in the fall of 2009 was a bust. But the second resulted in a BFP, some promising beta numbers, ridiculous (20-week) morning sickness, and a heartbeat at 7w5d. We're now over halfway through our second pregnancy which has gone flawlessly with the exceptions of a Choroid Plexus Cyst found on our 19w anatomy scan and persistent breech presentation discovered at 34 weeks. The CPC is a cyst in the baby's brain which, while benign in itself, is a soft marker for the devastating Trisomy 18. CPC's occur in 1-2% of normal healthy fetuses but in 30-50% of T18 fetuses (thus its designation as a 'marker'). Scary stuff again. Since T18 is so devastating, there are usually more signs by this point, but not always. Since my baby has not exhibited any other abnormalities and scored an A++ on his first trimester screening (less than 1/100,000 chance of T18) my OBG is not recommending any follow up at all and has advised me not to worry. Of course I can't help but worry and the news has cast a shadow over what should be a joyous time. Before I got pregnant with this baby I thought there was NO WAY I'd ever have any complaints about pregnancy, should I ever be so lucky to get pregnant again. But I've found I do have a complaint (please don't read this as being ungrateful) which is that the anxiety is relentless. This has been such a fragile journey.
As if the CPC wasn't hard enough for me to deal with the discovery of breech kind of sent me over the edge since I had read that chromosomally abnormal babies are often breech. Still my OBG wasn't alarmed and when I insisted on speaking with a geneticist, she said that while the CPC raised my risk of T18 by a factor of 10 - so now we're at 1/10,000 if you're counting - the breech presentation does not count as a marker and doesn't change my risk. Still I worried, of course. I was overwhelmed with worry and tagged as a prime candidate for PPD.
But my baby boy arrived healthy at 38w4d via c-section on August 10, 2010 and I could not be happier. I don't think I have ever been happier. My life is not now free of anxiety, there is plenty of it, I'm a worrier by nature. But I have all that I have ever wanted in life and I refuse to lose focus of that after all I've been through. I bid you welcome to my journey. It's been a rough one but I am lucky. I brought my baby home, I have him in my arms, and I love him more than life itself.
15 years ago

29 comments:
I'm here still reading :) BTW- have you considered getting a doppler? You're probably at the stage you could rent a 3mghz one. I just know it helped me with peace of mind.
I'm just checking in too :)
I'm sure the NT scan will go great. I never had a Doppler with either pregnancy, but considering how I always obsess over kick counts after 26-28 weeks it may be a good thing !
Kelley
Good luck with the NT scan. I <3 seeing my fellow loss sisters having successful pregnancies!
Oh wow, such a journey! I truly hope that the NT scan is excellent.
ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/
I can't wait until your NT scan. I hope everything looks great. How are you feeling with the morning sickness these days? Any improvement?
Good luck with the NT scan and YAY for 9 weeks!
~ICLW
What an amazing story. I hope your NT scan goes well and that everything will go smoothly for you. Happy ICLW :)
Good luck with the NT scan- I'm sure it will go well!
ICLW
Happy ICLW!
Nine weeks is a long time, but I'm sure it's gone by quite a lot slower for you than I.
I am still learning about everything you, and others like you, are going through, so I'm sorry I cannot be more 'indepth' with my commenting.
Good luck with your journey!!!
Huge congrats on your second BFP. Hoping and praying this one is a perfect pregnancy for you.
Wishing you the best scan ever. Its sometimes hard to be excited when we have had so much loss i know. But be excited girl all is going to be wonderful I feel it. 2010 is the year for us all. Happy ICLW
Congrats and hoping for all good news!
Congrats on the BFP! Praying that everything goes well for you both!
Best of luck to you!! I hope this is it!
So sorry you endured all of that! I had RPOC and it took 4 months for my uterus to clear and hCG to be negative. I can't even fathom what you went through.
But, your story gives me such HOPE :) Hang in there and live in the moment! Keep your eye on the prize and we're gonna cheer you on every step of the way.
HUGS
Sorry to read about your first loss and the troubles that came with it in the aftermath.
Congratulations on your second pregnancy, you're right to feel lucky, I hope this one is a sticky one for you.
ICLW
Rach
www.thegalwho.wordpress.com
Congratulations on your baby! I've never heard of this condition, but I hope that you carry your little miracle full term and everything turns out great.
Christina
iclw
By the way, I just spent 5 minutes playing with your mouse! I think I fed him too much because he could only play on his wheel for a minute. That thing is so adorable!
i came across your blog about 4 months ago somehow and felt right at home because i also had a molar pregnancy, and i read it routinely but then i went through a huge "detachment" phase where i didn't even want to talk about, or read about the MP, so I haven't stopped by in a few months and WOW I am so glad that I did today because a huge congratulations is in order! We were finally just cleared to TTC on Monday and your story is an inspiration to me! Thanks so much for sharing your story.
Thank you for sharing your story. I will be sending prayers for an uneventful NT scan.
ICLW
ICLW
Wow, you have been through so much. I have also been prescribed methotrexate-awful stuff, isn't it. I didn't have a GTD though. I also just want to second everyone here-good luck for your upcoming scan, let's hope it is very uneventful!! In a good way. Congratulations on your second BFP. Just hang in there and remember it's ok to feel worried sometimes.
Take care
xx
Wow, you've gone through quite a journey. Congrats on your BFP and good luck on your upcoming scan. I know how hard it is not to worry.
Wow, you've been through a lot. Congrats on your BFP. I hope the next U/S gives you some peace of mind. I hate that this takes away the blissfulness that you should feel at this stage.
Take care.
ICLW
This sounds like it's been a tough journey... molar's a freaking scary! I'm so glad you've made it to your second pregnancy, and I'm sending you positive thoughts that you'll have a healthy 9 months. Congrats!
Happy ICLW Week :-)
Hello from ICLW! Wow - what a crazy story! You're right - the anxiety is the worst part. You've been through so much, it's no wonder this is tough...
Wishing you good luck in these last few months!
Oh wow - what a journey! I am so sorry about all of the anxiety (((hugs))).
ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/
Congrats on the pregnancy.
Happy ICLW!!
#40 http://thegalwho.wordpress.com/
I can totally realte to your comment of the anxiety being relentless. It was that way for me too.
Just saw your first tri screening result and with a result that low I don't think you need to worry about T18! My odds were much higher than that (but they still called me a low risk, hence why they didn't consider T18 when they found the CPC)
Praying that your little boy is healthy as can be :)
Hi there! I've found your blog through Alyssa's Twists of Fate blog. I'm drawn to any TTC/pregnancy/baby. My DH and I TTC for 5 years and I'd previously had a loss, I know the anxiety that comes with the finally-pregnant..but I also know the JOY and excitement. I've enjoyed reading around in here today and thought I'd comment to let you know I am looking forward to following the journey of your next weeks and the finally-here post =) =) You might enjoy my blog, come by and browse my past posts of newborn photography.
Post a Comment