It also occurred to me how easily I enjoy entertaining a young child being in the KU state that I'm in. I would have dreaded the day had I not been pg. Had I still been struggling with beta hell or waiting to try again or recurrent BFNs. Now that I am, I feel myself becoming a happier person, allowing myself to be happy for other people, the bitterness is dissipating. I am changing for the better. And I love it. I love how it feels and what it does for my life and my relationships and my perspective. And it scares me that so much can rest on something that I have no control over. It could all be gone in an instant. Or in two weeks. I could be thrown right back into a world of bitterness, despair, hate, helplessness, and resentment totally against my will and there would be nothing I could do about it. People say you can choose to be happy or excited or optimistic or whatever it is. But that hasn't worked for me. I feel how I feel. It's like asking me to believe in something I don't believe in. You can't just decide one day to believe something. A belief is not a choice. A belief is a belief - you have it or you don't. You can pretend to believe something or feel some way, you can try to brainwash yourself into thinking it's so by acting as though it is or acting as though you believe it. But I've always thought that kind of practice is an uphill battle that builds repression and that emotions should be indulged because you really have no other choice but to feel them. Why not embrace them?
This is why when DH asked me if we could visit some friends the day after our scan I said no. No, we can't plan anything for a couple days after. "What if something goes wrong?" I demanded. How could he think this was a good idea? Here was his response, "well if something goes wrong it might be good to hang out with some good friends..."
He is a wonderful husband, but he is still clueless when it comes to the emotions that I have wound up in this. Maybe it's my fault. Maybe I've protected him by not talking about my grief too much, by not involving him in the doctors appointments until now. Whatever it is, he clearly has no idea what it will do to me if we lose this baby. NO effing clue. And for some reason I didn't explain it right then and there, instead I said "If it goes wrong I will need surgery!" So instead of blaming my emotional processes, I blamed the practicality of it all because that seemed to be the only thing he could understand. I should have added "and it would not be good to hang out with our happy friends and their happy baby less than 24 hours after we lost our second one." After I lost my second baby. Clearly he wouldn't be that broken up about it if he thinks he's running off to have beers with his buddy on his way home from the appointment. It would NOT be good. I get his point - you need people to lean on. But this is not that situation. This is still a very private thing for us - NO ONE (except for 'yall) know about the pregnancy. There is no one IRL that will be able to help me deal with another loss other than DH. And he doesn't even get it. Going out to socialize, to spend another day pretending, hiding my grief and frustration and anger and bitterness, going through the motions of adoring their son while screaming and dying on the inside would NOT be a good way of dealing with another loss. So we're not hanging out with friends the day after. We've also pushed off a visit with my parents.
Don't worry, I'm not trying to live in the worst-case scenario. Especially since all signs are to the contrary. I hate when I find myself planning my life around something that may or may not happen in the future. But I don't think planning your life around a verdict like this for a mere two days is all that crazy or unnecessary. If there's no hb I will need to deal with it physically as well as emotionally. Two days isn't much to ask. I get that the chances of bad news are low, but they are statistically significant. I have 'won' much more remote chances before, like the molar + cancer lottery. So I plan to leave a window. I am going to be firm about that. It's not like we can't see our friends in a couple weeks. I'm not talking about giving up a trip to Tahiti here.

7 comments:
astrid i totally and COMPLETELY relate to everything you say in this post- from how your view on life changes when you are (or aren't) preggo and how completely oblivious the DH seem to be. But there is no way for them to totally understand- they never will- nobody ever will until they deal with a molar pregnancy because it is a whole experience of its own. As my due date looms (feb. 6) I feel myself slipping into that darkness that i have stayed away from for the past few months ad reading your words make me feel normal, as if somebody out there understands. TY!
Thinking about you.
So glad to have found your blog, while stopping by for an ICLW visit...
No. 36: the unfair struggle (mfi, speedskating, weight loss)
I understand that if you get bad news you will not want to be around people, you will not want to talk. That's the way I am too.
This is your way to deal.
Maybe your husband needs to be around people when he gets bad news ? Maybe he needs to get out of his head ? My boyfriend is like that. He needs to see people, to play games, to share how others are happy. It makes it easier to breathe.
I completely get the desire to protect yourself and how men don't understand this desire. For us, this is an emotional process. Of course we are going to worry. But men sometimes act as though we should be eternally optimistic about the future. What they don't get is that we aren't being negative; we are being realistic. I have this argument with my husband at least once a week and it is so frustrating. He needs to let you handle this situation the way you feel most comfortable. And I don't blame you for keeping that window open, just in case. Though I hope that you don't need it. (((hugs)))
I dislike giving up the control factor during this pregnancy. I know I have no control over it but it scares the ever living crap out of me.
Husbands are weird. He's probably thinking, oh buffer! Our friends can help us cope if something happens when the truth is, we just want to be alone, in bed, crying & thinking. Hopefully, this won't be the case for you.
And there's nothing wrong with planning for the worst. I did it for my last Drs visit and honestly, I'm doing it now. It's our human nature. It's how we cope.
I'm thinking of you this week.
I have never experienced a loss, but after our IVF cycle and being pregnant with our son, I felt myself changing a bit. I was not as bitter as when our first cycle failed and I found myself starting to become a happier person.
After becoming pregnant with our daughter, I am doing well at 5 1/2 months, but it started out rocky after some spotting and a suspected vanising twin.
Maybe your husband just does want to be around others to ease any emotions..... They just don't understand because they don't experience the morning sickness, sleepless nights worrying, holding their breath at every u/s and appt.
We all understand and I hope your scan is going to be great!
Kelley
I get what you're saying. I still clean my house every night before a doctor's appt, just in case the appt goes badly :) (and which, in the interest of full disclosure, is the topic of my next blog post!)
We still operate by only making plans that can be cancelled. Nothing that costs too much money if it's nonrefundable, that kind of thing. I only put stuff on my work calendar that someone else can also cover. . . so yeah, I get it. But also - think about making those plans, with the knowledge that you can always fake a stomach bug if need be ;)
Congrats on 10 weeks. Oh, and as for the Zofran - I get mine from Costo for dirt cheap (w/o coverage)
Post a Comment