Astrid has moved...

The continuation of her journey as a new mom can be found at her new blog, Everything After.

New to the blog? ICLW?

Read the backstory here.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

"HCG Results Day" or "All Hail the Arrival of AF"

No joke. That's what it feels like. Like the arrival of a sacred diety. Or Hayley's commet. Today is a day exactly 5.5 months from my D&C and exactly 8 (count 'em) months since my LMP. And now, today is my new LMP. CD 1. I am almost crying. I wondered if this day would ever come. And how it would come, and what I would do and how I would feel. I imagined how happy I would be. And oh how happy I am. I am sleep deprived, I am frustrated by work, I am all tore up after wrestling with chicken wire for 4 hours yesterday in the interest of protecting my precious fur babies, DH is leaving for a few days. But I could not be more gleeful. AF is here.

Related good news is that the uptick in my BBT roughly two weeks ago that sent me into a cycle of despair and caused me to put away the thermometer was probably ovulation. I feel like a kid at the best Christmas of their life.

Wasn't I just posting yesterday about how I didn't have any AF symptoms? Isn't that weird? Well they all seem to have set in at once. Woke up with cramps, had a backache last night but assumed it was from building a freaking fence - which would make sense, right? I'm feeling heavy and bloated and a little nauseous. My boobs are not sore. Which makes me think...why were they sore the month before I got my BFP. I thought it was an AF symptom since I got it both during the month I got my BFP and the month before. When I saw only a faint line and assumed it was an evap line. The next day there had been no line. I'm starting to wonder if I had a chemical pregnancy before my BFP. Which would be good and bad. Bad 'cause it means my m/c was a second m/c. Good because it means my body is capable of flushing out HCG in a timely manner and the past 5 months were a fluke. You see, I am PETRIFIED of getting pregnant again so any sign that I will not have to go through this again, however attenuated, I will latch on to. I don't know that I could handle another year-long ordeal. I don't know if I could cope with another m/c that turns into a months-long waiting game. I don't know if I could cope with spending my child-bearing years going through year-long attempts and disappointments. I could handle more m/c's. I don't know if I can handle another possibly-cancer diagnosis resulting from a m/c. So I am scared that my body doesn't metabolize HCG effectively but am hoping it was just a fluke.

This certainly helps me to set my sights on trying again. I can't try again anytime soon because of the recent MTX injections and because my folic acid is likely still depleted and because my HCG could come back up if my so-called gestational trophoblastic disease shows itself again. But I can now focus on BBT charting, pinpointing the day of O so when we do try again we'll have some focus, FEELING NORMAL (which is vastly underrated, just like AF and getting a trim, among other things), getting healthier (read: drink less), training the dog, working on my relationships, working on work, and a myriad of other things I need to catch up on both practically and emotionally. Who knew AF could be such a motivator?


UPDATE: Beta results are in.

LESS. THAN. TWO!!!!

Speaking of things I thought would never happen. I got a message from Dr. not-my-usual-OBG saying 'congratulations, I know this has been a long wait to get this good news.' I listened to the message twice. She rehashed what the office usually does for molar or GTD pregnancies: I would need to get negative (less than two) tests for three weeks in a row, then monthly tests all negative for three months in a row, then test negative every three months for, and get this, she said "for three months" in a row. Which puts me at roughly six or seven months from TTC again. But if what she really meant was test every three months for "three negative tests in a row" then they're talking more like a year away from TTC. Hell's to the no. I think I can swing a six month wait but since there was no confirmed molar tissue and since my levels, while slow, pretty much came down on their own, I don't know if I can wait a year. Fortunately, the dr. qualified what she said by mentioning that since I'm far from a usual case (I never thought that might be a good thing) I may have worked out another plan w/ Dr. OBG and I should follow her advice. Dr. OBG, before she went on vaycay alluded that it would be more like a three month wait. Dr. GO seems to think I can wait three days and be fine. So I'm still holding out hope for the 6 month wait from the last MTX shot which would mean around December/Jan. I will talk to Dr. OBG when she gets back. The last thing I want to do is doom myself to another experience like the one that is hopefully drawing to a close.

This seems like too much good news for one post. Or even for one day. After discovering AF this morning I asked myself, what good thing have I done to deserve this? It must have been wonderful. And then I realized - I think I've been through enough. So much that I can confidently say - I deserve this. Good or bad behavior, it's time for me to get some good news. It's enough that I am me, weathering my experiences, to afford me a little peace of mind once in a while. I don't have to do anything to deserve it. Other than survive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you and I both got good news today. Happy CD1. :)

Anonymous said...

what an awesome day! Just breathe and enjoy!

Kim said...

OMFG, it's about time! That's great news, congratulations!