I'm feeling a little trapped by the crazies. Here are some examples:
As mentioned in my last post, I was actually considering lying about made-up symptoms at my next pre-natal appointment.
I've been using the doppler every. single. day. Sometimes twice. No lie.
I hand wash like an obsessive compulsive.
I avoid kisses from my dogs and I've been sleeping in a different bed from DH (and the dogs) while they go through their course of deworming medicine (the dogs, not DH).
I am making my dogs go through a course of deworming medicine that probably isn't necessary since they have both been de-wormed once a month since we got them and both tested negative at our last appointment (I did find a worm on one of them though, hence the medicine).
I'm thinking of cancelling on a fairly important (for my job, for networking, for the organization) volunteer job I committed to in a couple weeks because there will be untold masses gathered in a stuffy room with lots of one-on-one contact and lots of kids and everything I touch will necessarily have to have passed through 4 or so other sets of hands... I never got the flu vaccine and I'm entering "suppressed immune system" territory now so I'm just afraid of people. I love this volunteer job and I'm really starting to be a principal player in this group so I'm afraid of disappointing people. But I'm more protective and paranoid about my baby than afraid of disappointing people.
I'm afraid to go visit my parents 'cause my mom mentioned there are rats living under the house and when they turn on the heat they can smell their, uh, waste (I know, gross, but they do live in the woods). She said it probably wouldn't be good for me to breathe that and said we would just use space heaters when I come and is sure there are no rats in the house. This sounds perfectly fine - in fact, I'm pretty sure there are rats under our house too. But just the suggestion of a possibly harmful thing that could happen somewhere maybe is enough to put me into a panic.
There are some things I could do to mitigate these problems/paranoias:
I could get the flu shots...but really? In March? In California? The verdict is still out on this one. It would be one thing if it was next fall and inoculating myself would protect the baby once it's born too but by the time the kid is born, there will be different viruses haunting the world.
I could put a moratorium on my doppler use. I am doing this one, I'm going to every other day and then hopefully 2-3 times/ week.
I could be straight with my OBG. Tell her my concerns include IC and ask what she's going to do to make sure I don't have it and then just live with her answer which probably will be something along the lines of: "I'm going to do jack sh-- unless you have reason to think you do have it." I'm gaining comfort with this idea. I don't want to lie. And it's not that I have a problem lying to this bitch, it's that I don't feel like I should have to lie or otherwise beat around the bush. I just want to be straight with her and believe she's being straight with me. And what I really want is to believe everything is going to be ok.
That's what this all comes down to. I'm trying to create a world in which the only possible outcome is good. I know it's silly. But I also know that it is on me to take some precautions. Just where does it end? What do you leave up to the cosmos. We're supposed to control what we can and hope for the best as to all the rest, right? Well, when you think about it, there's a LOT we can control...but at what cost? I could live in a bubble for the next five months? Isn't my baby worth that? Sure, but it's CRAZY. And unnecessary. Trying to back down off that idea is where I'm getting hung up. Just exactly how crazy is too crazy. And how paranoid is just paranoid enough?
15 years ago

6 comments:
Its understandable to be nervous about germs but hiding from them can also weaken your immune system further leading to more illnesses.
We need to catch colds to build up our antibodies and prevent more illness. Just one flu shot doesn't cover what a cold can. This isn't saying that its fun to be sick....cause yeah...NOT FUN. I will be 30 weeks on Monday and have only had one cold so far. Yes we are immuno compromised to a small degree but nothing to loose sleep over
The doppler thing isn't crazy. I used mine more than once a day when I was where you are too. It wasn't until after my "big u/s" that I started tapering down to about every other day. Now I use it once a week or less on an off-day when I'm not getting karate chopped in the ribs or liver and I get nervous. AND that doppler will sit it its spot until a baby comes home with me, no matter how nuts DH thinks I am.
I'm weird about germs, too, and always have been. I'm a complete hand sanitizer pusher and feel like I'm always squirting it on everything! haha
I say that even though you're probably not going to get the answer you're looking for, it wouldn't hurt to express your concerns about IC to your Dr. I'm hoping the next month goes by fast for you so you won't have to worry about that anymore. As you know, I know all too well what it's like to be worried about it.
Hang in there!
I think avoiding certain dangerous or being cautious is a good thing. The whole rat dropping would freak me out too. I get so worried when I pick up my dogs poo and think to myself, I hope I'm not hurting my baby.
I've been using my doppler a lot lately. It comforts me & when I hear that little rapid heart beat, I think...all that I have been doing (washing hands, staying away from sick people, etc) is worth it.
I would tell your Dr your concerns though about IC. And even if that crack pot Dr gives you the run around, demand for answers until you are satified.
Hang in there!
I am also paranoid about germs, but like Claire said, our immune sys needs to be exposed and to catch colds as much as it sucks. With my son I was never sick, not even once, but this pregnancy I am 27 weeks with a girl and I have had at least 2 colds despite frequent hand washing, sanitizing, etc.
You should bring up the IC to your doc and see how she responds. I know it is hard, but hopefully you will be with a new doc soon that understands your concerns.
Oh and I really like the prenatal yoga. I know your concern was going bak to work all sweaty, but it is a mini workout with alot of stretching. It gets my heartrate up, but I definately hardly sweat and I am pretty active.
Kelley
Agree with Claire. It's good to be worried about germs, but you are opening yourself (and the LO) up to MORE germs and illness. You can be careful, but don't move yourself into a bubble.
And I don't think the doppler thing is paranoia. I know if I were pregnant, I would be using it every day, too!
I used my doppler more than once a day at your stage too. Its okay! I told my OB I did and she didn't blink an eye!
As for the other stuff- its okay. It's natural. You're being a protective mama bear. I don't blame you for not wanting to catch a cold and especially not catch a flu. You're at the tail end of flue season so if you can avoid the large masses of people, I would too.
It's just not worth the risk ya know?
Post a Comment