Astrid has moved...

The continuation of her journey as a new mom can be found at her new blog, Everything After.

New to the blog? ICLW?

Read the backstory here.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Update on peri appointment

My obg called and said a consult with the perinatologists would be covered. A follow-up ultrasound would not be. I wish she had left it at that. THAT's what I wanted, I quickly realized. To talk to people that know without the opportunity to find additional markers or some other issue. I'd probably freak out over something as minor as the baby measuring a few days behind at this point. It was kind of a relief that an ultrasound wouldn't be covered. Why didn't I think of this before? Actually I had, I was just to chicken to admit that I was too scared to have another ultrasound and just wanted a second, more expert opinion on my risk because I have trust issues with my obg.

But then my obg said something kind of tactless. She explained that no kind of follow up would have been covered if the CPC was the only flag that had been raised. But now that there was an "additional finding," i.e. the breech, the consult would be covered. I really didn't want the breech to be ever classified as an "additional finding." In fact I think I would have preferred for insurance not to cover this at all. I would have found some relief if they'd said "don't be ridiculous Astrid, you cannot direct your own medical protocol, if there are no indications for follow up, you don't get any follow up, and breech is not an indication." But now it's enough I guess... I think my obg has had to do some major convincing that I am freaking out and that the consult is for peace of mind, and I know that plenty of CPC-only follow up is covered, so I shouldn't be alarmed that they're letting me do this visit after all this pushing. But still, if there's something to worry about, I will worry about it. I prefer to think of it as: given the "additional finding" they can understand why I'd need to talk to someone but they refuse to do an u/s on the basis that there is most likely nothing to be found and thus nothing to worry about.

In any case, this has settled my decision, I am going to do the consult. They'll probably give me some cold-hard statistics, may review my first u/s, may adjust my risk numbers in some arbitrary way. But at least whatever they say will be coming from people that know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best of luck with the consult. I'll be thinking of you.

xo

k said...

UGH- VERY tactless. I'm so sorry hon. Good luck and keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Good luck at the consult.


Kelley

Melissa said...

Glad you're going to the consult. I agree, hearing anything at all from someone who knows what they're talking about is always good!

Good luck. Thinking about you!