Astrid has moved...

The continuation of her journey as a new mom can be found at her new blog, Everything After.

New to the blog? ICLW?

Read the backstory here.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thoughts at the dawn of the third trimester

Dr's appointment yesterday went pretty well. My fundal height went up 5cm in one month and my weight only went up a half pound. My jaw dropped at that. No. freaking. way. I had been trending at 1lb per week consistently since the beginning and I was sure last month was the biggest growth period yet (I was right, according to my fundal height). I haven't changed my behavior at all. I guess my body just evened itself out this month because now I'm exactly where I should be for weight gain. No less than three people mentioned that I looked good and like I had been laying off the beer and ice cream. The ice cream comment was from my OBG and I didn't miss the opportunity to tell her that, actually, I have ice cream every. single. day. True story. There may have been about 2 days during this pregnancy that I didn't have ice cream but that's it. Slow churned, 1/2 the fat, but still. It's all very nice to hear but 'yall ain't seen nothing yet, if you know what I mean. I just started the third tri. I have almost three more months of growth to go. It's easy to look good for an 8-month pregnant person when you're only 6 months, you know? S-- could get scary still.

The OBG said it looks like I will be having a very average-sized baby and that I will go "back" to being a toothpick right after (I've never been a toothpick) since it looks like all the weight I'm gaining is in my belly. She keeps saying things like this that kind of compromise her credibility. Of course they're what I want to hear but of course there's no way for her to know. Fundal height is not a super accurate measure of size, generally, and how the H does she know how my fat deposits will allocate themselves in the very dramatic home stretch of pregnancy? Whatever. I am happy with the way I feel. I am energized and healthy and I couldn't ask for more, physically. I could ask not to have a mental breakdown every other day but I dare not for fear of asking too much.

The nurse explained a bunch of hospital intake forms to me yesterday and then finished by asking if I was nervous. "I'm not nervous about labor," I said, "just nervous about the baby's health...they found a CPC at my 19 week scan." "Oh, you're worried about that?" She responded, it wasn't totally clear whether she knew what a CPC was. "Oh we've had a couple of those and no problems at all, not in the last two years." No idea why she answered like this. First, why the cutoff at 2 years - what happened before that? I didn't ask. Maybe that's when she joined the group, maybe that's when they stopped ordering follow-up, and maybe she was making it up because she had no idea what I was talking about. Who knows? Also, according to my OBG the frequency of CPCs among her patients are more like a couple a month. Not a couple period. I made a mental note a while ago that this assistant is not a wealth of information so I dismissed the comment.

The baby was really active yesterday and my OBG noticed an acceleration while we listened to the heartbeat and said we had a wild child on our hands. "Good." I responded. She looked surprised - probably surprised that I wouldn't want a more mellow kid, so I clarified, "as long as he's healthy."

Everyone keeps saying everything will be fine. But what does anyone know? I'm still not convinced. I feel very very fortunate to be pregnant. Fortunate that he's alive and kicking today. I feel excited for the possibilities. But I can't shake the fear. I was planning my baby shower this weekend, planning a winter getaway to Mexico yesterday, and it all feels too good to be true and like I have to remember that it's all just a dream and may never happen.

I thought as I got closer to the due date, and as I had more appointments during which everything checked out fine I would relax a little. But I'm not relaxed and I think the countervailing force is exactly that the due date is getting closer. This is all getting very real.

I mentioned to C my reservations, my distance from the pregnancy, I mentioned how, whenever I work on the nursery I feel like it's just another home-improvement project, I don't identify with having a baby in my life. "That's horrible!" She said. "I know. I don't pretend it's not." I said. "I'm just being honest." C thinks I worry too much. As does everyone else in my life. And maybe I do. Maybe this is something I should have forgotten about that day at the OBG's office when I heard about the CPC. Maybe I should have dismissed it before I got to my car and went on assuming everything is fine. I screened negative after all. No problems here. Maybe that's what normal people would do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the third tri! Time is really flying now. I hope that everything continues to go well and that, at the end of this, all of your fears are put to rest.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on officially being in the third trimester!

I am due with baby #2 Friday and have fears sometimes if I am making the right choice about going a week or two over with trying for a VBAC instead of just scheduling a csection. But having a csection the first time, yes a healthy baby is most important, but there is 4 times the risk of maternal death and complications as well...it is major surgery and each csection creates more risks with the next pregnancy (if we are so lucky to have a third.)

It is hard to relax and concentrate on enjoying the pregnancy sometimes....I hope you have your beautiful healthy baby in your arms in 3 months!

Kelley