Astrid has moved...

The continuation of her journey as a new mom can be found at her new blog, Everything After.

New to the blog? ICLW?

Read the backstory here.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quick update - he's here!!

I will send a more thorough birth story when I have the time and facilities - I'm writing in a rare quiet moment at the hospital...

He arrived this morning as scheduled at 38w 4d and weighed in at a respectable 7lbs 2oz. I don't have a length measurement as yet. It's been kind of chaotic.

He has the face of an angel and tons of hair. I wish I could say he's perfectly healthy in every way but he had low blood sugar and was breathing too fast when he came out so he was whisked away to the NICU, although I've been told by the nurses that these are common problems with cesarean and breech babies. I'm having a hard time coping with these first few crucial hours without him, this is not how it's 'supposed' to be (but when is it ever?) but his breathing is fine now and he's getting glucose until they ok us to start breastfeeding - maybe tomorrow - at which point they'll assess how he does without the supplement. The hope is that we'll both be discharged at about the same time.

It physically hurts to be without him (after the delivery room I got to hold him briefly once while I was flat on my back) but he is doing quite well by all accounts and for that I feel so fortunate and thankful.

13 comments:

Mrs. V said...

Congratulations Astrid! I'm so glad he arrived safely. Hopefully you two will be reunited soon. Yay!!

Anonymous said...

A big congrats to you! I am so happy for you he is finally here !

My son born by c-section was fine, but my when my daughter was born (vaginal delivery) she had some fluid in her lungs (usually a c-section side effect) and they had to monitor her for a few hrs. Luckily she was fine, but I only got to hold her for a few min and missed her already!

Kelley

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Astrid! I am so happy for you and can't wait to read the full birth story. I hope the little guy's breathing improves and the two of you are reunited soon.

K said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! Thinking of your little guy- hopefully he'll be better in no time!

Melissa said...

Oh Astrid! Congrats on your bundle of joy!! So freakin' happy and excited for you!!

Liz said...

Wow Congratulations.

MeAndBaby said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

hooray, congratulations!!! i am so glad he is healthy!!! can't WAIT for pictures but take your time, i surely understand things take a little longer now.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your little one's arrival! I hope you both are able to go home very soon.

Angela said...

Congrats! I'm sure you'll have him in your arms soon.

Amaprincess said...

CONGRATS mama!

Bee said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you that your dream has finally come true : )

Bitsy Baby Photography said...

wow i haven't been by in a while, sorry bout that, but happened to pop in tonight and what to my wandering eyes do i see =) that's awesome, Congratulations and enjoy that baby =)